The present Akola district formed part of the Nizams dominion assigned to the East India Company in 1853. It went to the British in liquidation of the large debt due on account of arrears of pay on the Hyderabad contingent and as a security for future payment of that force. Berar once consisted of two districts- north and south. Berar was reconstituted into 2 districts- west Berar and east Berar. West Berar had its headquarters at Akola and east Berar at Amravati.
In 1903,Berar was leased to the Government of India by the Nizam for an annual rent of 25 lakhs rupees.The administration of Berar shifted from Hyderabad to the Chief Commissioner of the Central Provinces.A part of the west Berar district went to the Buldhana district when it was constituted in 1864.
Some parts of the district again went to Washim district when it was formed in the year 1875. The boundaries of the tehsils and district were changed. From Amravati, the Murtizapur tehsil went to Akola and Khamgaon and Jalgaon tehsils from Akola went to Buldhana district. The Washim district was broken down and the tehsils of Washim and Mangrulpir were joined with the newly constituted Akola district.The states were reorganized in the year 1956. The district first became a part of Madhya Pradesh. It was later transferred to the Bombay state. It finally became a part of the Maharashtra state in 1960. Akola district was divided into two- Akola and Washim on July 1, 1998. Akola, Balapur, Patur, Barshitakli, Murtizjapur, Akot and Telhara talukas constitute the Akola district as of now. The district headquarters are situated at Akola. The city is situated in the bank of the River Morna. It is well known for its cotton production.